Sandy Community Church is a part of the Elim Pentecostal Churches of Great Britain, a growing movement of over 600 Christian congregations in the UK and Ireland.
Elim was founded in 1915 by George Jeffreys, a young Christian from Maesteg in South Wales. Jeffreys and a group of friends, known as the Elim Evangelistic Band, preached, started churches and witnessed a move of God that was characterised by miraculous healings and an explosion in the number of people becoming Christians.
The founders wanted the name of their new Movement to express their vision and values, and so chose ‘Elim’, the name of an oasis in the Bible that the people of Israel discovered as they wandered through the desert. It provided shade and refreshment to all who encountered it. Today, in a world that can feel like a desert, Elim’s 21st-century churches seek to be a place of spiritual resource within their communities.
The Elim Movement is led by General Superintendent John Glass and a National Leadership Team (elected from members of the Conference). Sandy Community Church which was originally a church plant from Letchworth Garden City Church (LGCC) is part of the Metropolitan West Region of Elim churches, overseen by Dave Campbell.
More information about Elim is available at elim.org.uk.